Wednesday, May 27, 2009

100 days

So I was bored in class and counting how long I’ve been in Australia and yesterday was my 100th day here. Once again the past week has flown by. I haven’t really done much of anything, I’ve been busy with a lot of school work. I cant’ believe next week is already the last week of classes.

Last Wednesday I should’ve gone to my internship but I took the day off with the plan to go to the library and read/study for my Econ class which is near impossible. I couldn’t concentrate in the library and it didn’t help that there was absolutely no where to sit, I actually walked around the entire place until I found a spot right by the stairs that was nice and noisy. I gave up after about a half hour and opted to go grocery shopping instead. I felt that my day was wasted, so I opted to go for a run trying to feel somewhat productive. About halfway through my Ipod froze and then it started downpouring on me. It just wasn’t my day I guess, when I got back my roommate Josh and his girlfriend were getting ready to go to Beer Bingo at the Ubar and asked if I wanted to go along. I’ve never been and the semesters almost over so I figured why not. It wasn’t really that exciting, Josh’s girlfriend won a game so she got a free jug of beer but other than that it was basically just hanging out/drinking in the Ubar. Jeff and I left a little earlier than everyone else because it was getting boring and we wanted to make it back for Master Chef which is my new obsession here.

Thursday I spent all day on campus, literally. I had my Econ tutorial at 9, lecture from 11-1, MKTG tutorial at 2 and then my other Econ tut. at 3. By the time I was done with all of that I was ready for a nap but that night we had our dinner for the Internship program. I showered and got ready and then headed downtown with Rachel and Cassie. The dinner was at the Australian Hotel where we tried all kinds of interested pizza. Kangaroo, Crocodile, Emu, Duck, Tiger Prawn, Pumpkin, and Veggie. I think I tired all of them and the only one I really didn’t like was the duck and the only reason was because it had some weird sweet sauce on it. Not my idea of a pizza. Reguardless though I miss the pizza from home, even “fast food” pizza here sucks. We’re not really sure why, I think it might be the cheese, but it’s just not as good as pizza from home.

Friday I went into work, sooo boring. I mostly worked on the database all day and talked to people on facebook. I know I’m such a good employee, but there really wasn’t anything else for me to do. We finalized most of the work for the Export Hero’s awards and the Export Awards launch was the night before so all of that work was done. I also processed a few new membership that came in but after half a day I was bored out of my mind and decided to call it a day. The weather was pretty shitty and by the time I got home I was too lazy to do much of anything. I made dinner and hung out with my roommates and then decided to get a head start on my enourmous paper that was due this week.

Saturday I woke up early, not on purpose, but since I couldn’t fall back asleep I decided to just work on my paper. After a while I took a break to hang out with/ talk to my roommates girlfriend. Who he left here for the weekend while he went a field trip for his Marine Biology class – kind of odd but she’s really nice so it wasn’t’ that awkward. The rest of the day was really uneventfuly, went too the library, sat on facebook, did some shopping, and then just watched a movie that night because the weather was shitty again and no one was really up fro doing anything.

Sunday we went to the Sydney Swans Futbal game which was pretty cool. It was one of my roommates program events but since him and one of the others from their group were on their fieldtrip his girlfriend and I took the extra tickets. The game was kind of boring but the day itself was a lot of fun.

Monday I was finishing up school stuff, my paper and starting to study for my Econ test. That night I had another GLP event, this one was on Career mapping and actually kind of interesting. Between that event and my Econ. class I sometimes reconsider my major/what I want to do when I grow up.

Tuesday I was having a good day until I went to my econ lecture and like usual was completely lost the entire time. The material is confusing and it doesn’t help that our professor is a horrible teacher. He’s one of those professors who are too knowledgeable and don’t’ know how to break it down for students. I was in a horrible mood after class but after talking to my Dad and Brian I was much better. Went to the library to finish my paper, turned that in and then came back before going back to campus for another GLP event. I thought it was going to be interesting because it was about Aboriginal Australians but the lecturer was really boring. Some of them try to include group discussion or little projects but she just sat there talking to us. She did show a dvd clip but that was pretty boring as well. I did learn something though, I didn’t’ realize how recent the problem was, and the severity/reality of stealing children. It was still going on in the 1970’s.

Yesterday I went to my internship again and this time it wasn’t too bad. We’re finalizing things for the event next week. Lisa’s kind of annoyed because the room we are holding it in is fairly ugly and she wants to make it look better but we have virtually no budge. I was looking into chair covers, and more table decoration so hopefully those enhance the room. Friday I’m going in, my last day, and we’re going to run to IKEA to get candle holders and a few last minute things for the event. I had my Econ test this morning, so I spent most of the night studying for that last night. It was another crappy, rainy day so I didn’t feel too bad about just sitting in the apartment.

I don’t really have any exciting plans for this weekend, if the weather’s nice Cassie and I wanted to go to Palm Beach but with our luck it’ll probably rain. I’ll probably spend a good amount of time in the library writing my internship paper and studying for my Econ final. It’ll be hard to concentrate though because Brain gets here in a week and I cannot wait! I just booked a wine tour and bed and breakfast yesterday so that should be fun. I’m hoping there is good weather for when he comes but right now it looks like high 60’s so that should be good, as long as it doesn’t rain. I still can’t believe what they think “really cold” is here. I wish they could experience the joys of winter in Wisconsin.

It’s less than a month now and I’m still having mixed emotions. Most days I’m super excited but then I also realize how much I’m going to miss it. Yesterday at work my boss Ian asked me if I’m going to miss them and I really am, even though I complain about it a lot I love my internship. I was just telling Brian yesterday I wish that I could’ve worked there double and dropped another class (specifically Econ). Right now I really don’t mind that time is passing quickly, I can’t wait for next Thursday!

I’ll see everyone in a month, miss you all!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment