Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Home Stretch

Tuesday was an incredibly boring day, I woke up ate breakfast, started to study and then went back to bed for an hour. It started to rain which gave me a no desire to leave the apartment, which was probably a good thing since I had to study for my Marketing exam that I had the next day. I also did some yoga/Pilates which I hadn’t done in forever so it felt good to get some exercise. I studied for a while then when Josh came home our electricity went out, I think we just had too many things going at one time. We looked in our circuit breaker which is in our apartment but nothing was out so then I thought maybe it was the whole building, but when I went upstairs I found Julie had power and it was just us. I had to go downstairs and use the main controls to turn our power back on. When I went upstairs to talk to Julie I found out the free internet “Netgear” was working so of course I came back down and spent a good hour or more on the internet, mostly on Facebook, although I did take a few online quizzes for my exam. The rest of the day was mostly just hanging out and studying, so exciting.

Wednesday I woke up early so that I could have a decent breakfast before my exam, then headed off in the rain to take it. It went pretty well I think, I can never really judge especially with multiple choice. After my exam I went to the Library to use the internet for a while, hung out there and ran into Emma. I came back and didn’t really do much the rest of the day, hung out with my roommates for a bit, read, and then went over to Jeff’s apartment to watch Master Chef.

Thursday I got up and planned on going for a run but had no motivation to do that. I went online instead but then after talking to Peter for a while he motivated me to go for a run, I did that and some yoga/pilates, took a shower and got ready for the day. I went to campus around 2 to participate in a research study which I got $15 for. I was surprisingly tired when I got back here and took an amazing nap while my roommates left to go see year one. They said it was pretty good but I really have no desire to see it. They were gone most of the night, hanging out with Jeff because he was leaving to go home the next day. I watched Master Chef and talked to Brian from upstairs for a while then read and went to bed.

Friday morning I got up and went upstairs to say goodbye to Brian, he was leaving for New Zealand later in the afternoon and wouldn’t be back until after I left to go home so it was the last time I’d be seeing him. After that I went over to Jeff’s apartment to say goodbye to him, it’s finally starting to set in that we’re all leaving soon and may never see each other again. Although I will see Jeff because I’m going to Pittsburg to visit and get a food tour of the city, including Primanti brothers. After saying goodbyes I headed into the city to do some last minute shopping and wandering. My plan was to go to the rocks market however once I got downtown I realized they don’t start until Saturday. They did have the farmers market so I walked around that for a bit, then stopped at the Museum on Contemporary Art but that was a bust because the “good floor” was being changed and only the other two wee open. After that I decided why not take a walk to Paddy’s Market, it’s probably a good 10-15 blocks but the weather was nice and I stopped at a few stores along the way. I also got lunch at Ogalos which was recommended by some of the guys here as being really good. It’s basically a burger/chicken fast food place but it’s Portuguese style chicken and it was delicious. I got a few more souvenirs and some food at Paddy’s and then headed back to the apartment. I was motivated and went for another run and did more yoga/Pilates. After it started to rain so my plan of staying in was confirmed and I just hung out with my roommates and watched master chef and the American “SYTYCD”. I also read my book “world without an end” which I’m almost done with and is getting really good.

Saturday I woke up to rain, which has been the forecast for every day since Brian left basically. Sat around for a while, working on some things, read, studied a little bit for my last exam. The rest of the day followed pretty much the same pattern, the weather really never cleared up which gave me little motivation to do much of anything. I talked to Marie for a while, she baked a funfetti cake so I had some of that which was delicious. I also read the boy in the stripped pajamas which Jeff gave to my roommates to read. It was a really good book and now I need to see the movie.

Sunday I woke up around 10 to a sunny day! Yes, rain was predicted but someone was looking out for me because I had planned to go to the market that day rain or shine, although we know I would have been crabby had it been raining. I stopped on the way to the market at a jewelry store and decided that I needed/wanted/deserved a necklace to match the opal earings that I got for my internship. Everything was half off at the place I went to which was awesome and the sales lady was really helpful, no doubt working on commission. I ended up buying a really cute little pendant necklace and when I got home realized it matches my earnings almost perfectly. After that I headed to the market, wandered around for a bit and bought the present for my mom that was the whole purpose of me heading to town. After that my plan was to get some Gelatto but I wasn’t really in the mood but didn’t want to head back to campus yet either. I walked around, headed to Darling Harbor and then storm clouds were rolling in so I decided it was time to come back. I got back to campus just as it was starting to rain, started to do a little studying and then fell asleep around 4 to the rain. Woke up around 5, hung out for a while before making dinner and sitting down for Master Chef. I made pasta with zucchini for dinner, pretty impressive for the amount of cooking I actually do here, and it wasn’t bad either. Watched Master Chef with my roommates, so sad I’m going to miss the finale of that show, I guess I’ll just have to watch it online. Then hung out/studied for a while before calling my dad at 12 to wish him a happy fathers day. Talked to my mom and dad for close to an hour, and then passed out.

I had been planning on sleeping in Monday because I had nothing much to do other than study for my exam, however the dump truck outside had different plans for me. They were dropping off a massive dumpster for who knows what but were apparently having trouble with this process because they made a ridiculous amount of noise and of course it was right outside my window. I gave up on sleeping in and decided to just get up. I went online for a little bit, ate breakfast and then decided I couldn’t sit any longer. Went for a run because it was once again nice out, thank god the weathermen suck at predicting the weather here. After my run I was feeling motivated so I did some Yoga and Pilates, showered, and then resumed my position on the couch. I semi studied but mostly was on Facebook for a good hour before Tamara asked me to go to the mall with her. The plan was to study at Borders but she said she couldn’t concentrate and left shortly after. I stuck it out for a good hour, stopped at Woolworths for a few things and then headed back here. I studied for a while, read Gino’s blog and then made dinner (soup that I bought a while ago and needed to eat before leaving) and watched Master Chef, Desperate Housewives, and Brothers and Sisters. I really haven’t watched much TV here but Monday night is my TV night. I got back into Brothers and Sisters and Desperate Housewives is pretty much just a filler between the two.

Tuesday had my exam, hopefully that went well, it was three essay questions and I knew most of the parts on all of then so I should’ve done fine. After that I came back to the apartment and spent all day putting off packing. Worked out, showered, did some laundry, ate, went on Facebook, then finally started to pack around 5. It shouldn’t have been that hard because I just had to pack everything but it was still annoying. I finished though and then hung out with everyone in the apartments for my last night here.

Today got up early, hoping to tire myself out for the long plane ride home. Went for a run just as the sun was rising which was a perfect start to the day. I ran by campus and realized I don’t want to leave but I guess I’m okay with it. I really do miss everyone back home and can’t wait to see them. After that I showered, did some last minute packing, returned my key and now here I am typing my last blog in Australia. I leave for the airport in about a half hour and then 24 hoursish of travel before I’m home.

See you all soon!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment