Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rain Rain go away

Wednesday and Thursday were both filled with beautiful weather and of course I had classes and meetings both days. Since it had been so nice we were planning on going to the beach Friday, only to wake up to cold, cloudy weather. Instead Marie and I decided to go into the city and just see where the day took us. We started by the Opera house where we were going to buy tickets to go see a ballet in May but the line at the box office was too long so we’re just going to do it online. After the Opera house we walked over to the Botanical Gardens. I didn’t realize how big they were. We walked around there for probably close to three hours and saw tons of cool trees, flowers, and other plants. There were also a ton of really cool birds and thousands of bats. It was so weird we thought there were birds making noise above us and then we looked up and just saw trees loaded with huge bats. I took lots of pictures so I’ll have to post those somewhere. The gardens were really neat and they were free so that was awesome. After that we were starving so we walked into the city to find something to eat. My eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach so I decided to get a Kebab and Chips, basically like a gyro and fries at home. Marie also wanted to go back to a cupcake shop we spotted on the way there so I decided to quit halfway through and save the rest of my Kebab for dinner. After stuffing ourselves we walked around and looked at some stores, I bought a white cardigan because it gets cool here at night and the office I work in is freezing so I need more layers.

Saturday we got up earlyish and went to the beach. It was cool on the way there but it ended up being a beautiful day. Originally it was only a group of 4 of the girls but people kept meeting us there and by the end of the day I think there were 15-20 people gathered there. While there we made plans to go out at night to celebrate Brittany’s 21st birthday. We stopped on the way back to buy alcohol, a bottle of captain here 700ml is like $35, what a rip. It should last me a while though. All of us girls got dressed up and then we headed downtown, we weren’t really sure what part of town we were going to. At first we were considering Kings Cross because there’s supposed to be some fun place around there, but it’s also the “doddgy” part of town. The biker gangs here have been active lately I guess and some big guy in one of them was recently killed so it was recommended to avoid kings cross for a while so we narrowed our options to either the rocks or darling harbor. After asking a few other people we picked the rocks and ended up at Argyle which is a pretty cool bar which reminded us a lot of a pirate ship, we also went to the Brooklyn Hotel but not for long, Lowenbraugh and a few other places.

Sunday was a lazy day, I went to campus to use the internet, and do homework except that didn’t happen. Then I kind of just layed around and pretended to do homework all day.

I had my internship on Monday and Tuesday and we’re starting to do preparations for the Hero’s awards. I’ve been calling businesses to get quotes for photography and audio services. Lisa also wants me to brainstorm ideas for table centerpieces, I thought of using the theme of “hero” and some how displaying the words that define a hero like leadership, determination, drive, etc. etc. on each table. I pitched that idea to her on Tuesday and she loved it so I spend the day looking up different ways to display the words on each table.

I just finished a research study here on campus. Students hang up posters all over asking for people to participate in their research and most of them pay pretty well. Today’s was some study on females and eating, they fed me lunch and paid me $20, not bad.

Tonight there’s a themed party at the Ranch which is the bar that’s about a block away from where we live but I have a test tomorrow morning so I don’t think I’m going to that. Also I’m doing another colloquia for the Global Leadership Program so I’ll be busy until 9 and then have to study.

This weekend we might be going to Luna Park which is like a Coney Island type place so that should be fun. Then Saturday is the “golden slipper” horse races, they’re supposed to be a pretty big deal and people dress up Kentucky derby style, big hats and everything so we might go to those. Hopefully I can make some good bets and win some money.

Break is in a week and I can’t wait for our trip, it should be a ton of fun, I’m just hoping for good weather while we’re gone. This week has been rain so far which is supposed to continue for the next few days. I’m hoping it’s done by Sunday so I can make it to the beach at least once this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment